I have a sump on my saltwater aquarium which is fed by four overflows from the main display aquarium.
This sump contains a deep sand bed, a refugium and all the equipment which can be hidden (heaters, return pump, protein skimmer, calcium reactor and auto top up)
For some reason and I don’t know why I suddenly started getting loads of micro bubbles in my sump.
I checked all the overflows to see if anything has moved and I was unable to locate anything.
The only thing that I saw is that the pipes which enter the first chamber of my sump are a bit too deep in the water for my liking.
As I have not solvent welded these aspects of the plumbing I was able to remove them whilst doing a water change (when the water was low enough in the main display aquarium so as not to overflow down to the sump)
I cut the pipes back so that they are now only about ¾” under the water surface in the first chamber. This chamber is also full of small pieces of live rock rubble which acts as a type of baffle.
The result – no more bubbles!
As said I have absolutely no idea why it suddenly started happening as it was not doing this a couple of days ago but at least I was able to identify a way to resolve it.